The Canadian Federation of Students – Ontario (CFS-O) seeks an Executive Director, based in Toronto, to oversee the CFS-O’s day-to-day operations, campaigns and services. The Executive Director will provide leadership and oversight to employees of the Canadian Federation of Students – Ontario. The Executive Director will lead the CFS-O’s team to accomplish goals set by members.
The Canadian Federation of Students–Ontario (CFS-O) represents 350,000 college and university students from 38 students’ unions in Ontario. CFS–Ontario is an autonomous, incorporated, not-for profit organization, affiliated with the Canadian Federation of Students, which brings together over one-half million students across Canada. The Canadian Federation of Students was formed in 1981 to provide students with an effective and united voice, provincially and nationally and to provide cost-saving services to its members.
Duration: One year contract, with the possibility of renewal
Type: Full time, management
Start date: October 16, 2017
Salary: Salary of approximately $65,000 – $70,000, annually
- Leadership & Governance The Executive Director will be responsible for managing and executing short- and long-term planning related to the Federation’s internal operations, campaigns and advocacy work and services. They will advise the Ontario Executive on internal and external matters that may impact the organization and provide recommendations on all areas of the organization.
- Human Resource Planning & Management The Executive Director will lead and provide advice and direction on all human resource matters, including supervising a unionized staff team. Working with the Ontario Executive, the Executive Director will be responsible for developing and implementing HR policies and procedures in accordance with the workplace Collective Agreement, the Employment Standard Act, the Ontario Accessibility Act and shall work to foster a positive work environment.
- Financial Planning & Management The Executive Director will ensure proper financial controls, processes and reporting. Working with the Ontario Treasurer, the Executive Director will be responsible for short- and long-term financial planning including the creation of the Federation’s budget.
- Campaigns and Research The Executive Director will work with the Ontario Executive and a team of staff to help manage, develop and ensure the implementation of the Federation’s campaigns, research and government relations goals.
- Services Delivery The Executive Director will work with the Ontario Executive and a team of staff to ensure the success of the Federation’s services including striving to improve value and service delivery for member local students’ unions and students.
- Other Other duties as assigned by the Executive Committee.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Current and in-depth knowledge of the Canadian Federation of Students and the representation and services provided to students across the country;
- Current and in-depth knowledge of the federal and provincial government and the Canadian political process, and issues facing the student movement across the country;
- Experience developing short- and long-term campaigns on a wide range of issues;
- Experience operating member services in a non-profit setting;
- Strong and demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing a staff team;
- Experience working in a not-for-profit setting and with boards of directors;
- Ability to meet deadlines and a strong attention to detail;
- College or university education;
- The ability to develop, and work within, a budget;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Experience using the Adobe and Microsoft Office Suite;
- Experience working within an anti-oppression framework;
- Willingness to travel, work some evenings and weekends; and
- Ability to work in English and French will be considered an asset.
The Canadian Federation of Students is an employment equity employer. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from racialized people, First Nations, Inuit and Métis people, people with disabilities, queer and trans people, and women.
If this opportunity resonates with you and utilizes the leadership skills that you have developed, then we would like to hear from you. Please email your resume to email@example.com with the subject line, “Application: Executive Director”.
Only those candidates contacted for an interview will be notified.
Deadline for Application: October 3, 2017